Sitemap Top
Suleman Associates Logo
welcome top bar
UK Work Permits


The United Kingdom welcomes employees in a diversity of professional fields. The Work Permit allows UK companies to fill up labour shortages.

The Work Permit is the trendiest form of consent obtained by overseas nationals who wish to work in the UK. The application is dividing into two main rows. Tier 1 provides to intra-company transfers, inward investment and senior board members. Tier 2 allows skilled non-EEA nationals to come and work in the UK. Tier 1 also provides for individuals immediately required in the UK due to labour shortages in particular professions.

Work permits are issued by Work Permits (UK), part of the Home Office's The UK Border Agency. A work permit refers to a particular person and a specific profession. The work permit system lets UK employers recruit or move people from outside the European Economic Area (EEA), while still protecting the interests of local workers in the UK. Work permits also allow overseas nationals to come to the UK for training or work experience.

There are six different types of work permit that the Border and Immigration Agency (BIA) present. They are:

Business and Commercial
This work permit allows an individual to fill a particular position within a UK corporation that could or else be filled by a resident worker.

Training and Work Experience Scheme (TWES)
The TWES allows an individual to come to the UK for training or work practice with a specific UK company.

Sports and Entertainments
If you are a entertainer or sportsperson, this permit allows you to come to the UK to contribute to the entertainment or sporting business of the country.

Student Internships
This type of work permit allows a student to complete a three month internship at a UK company.

General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS)
This work permit allows the employee of a company based outside the EU to come to the UK on a service contract won by their company.

Sectors Based Scheme (SBS)
This scheme allows workers from Bulgaria and Romania to come to the UK to work in the food production industry.

If you do not have a job offer in the UK, you may be eligible to come to work in the United Kingdom as a highly skilled migrant worker.

Frequently Asked Questions:

What is a Work Permit Visa?
A work permit is a lawful consent that is issued to your employer, by the Home Office. This gives you permission to be working in a specific company for a set period of time.

What is the Work Permit procedure? How long does the process take?
Most of the applications of the work permit take between 1 -2 weeks for the Home Office to decide. We will provide you with details of any timing and/or immigration issues from the outset.

How do I apply for a Work Permit?
If you have a job offer from a UK company, contact us for a free work permit appraisal. You will need to provide us with your CV, passport pages and full details of the post that you have been offered. We will advise you on your chances of making a successful work permit application, together with a quote for responsibility this work on your behalf.

I do not have a job offer? Can you still help me apply for a Work Permit?
If you have not been offered a position within a UK Employer, then you cannot make a work permit application. You need to speak to employment organizations and employers directly. on the other hand you may be eligible for the Highly Skilled Migrant [HSMP] scheme. If you think you may be eligible you will need to complete our HSMP assessment form.

Can I work in the UK without a work permit?
The Immigration policies allow people to come to the UK for particular types of employment without a work permit. You can get more information from other guidance notes:


More advice and information About Work Permit:
For more advice and information contact:

Working in the UK
Run by the Home Office's Border and Immigration Agency, this site provides essential advice on working schemes and employment in the UK.

Customer Relations Team
Work Permits (UK)
PO Box 3468

General enquiries: (+44) (0)114 259 3776

For more advice and information about visas:


London SW1A 2AH
General enquiries: 0845 010 5555

Please note that this number may not work from outside the UK. If you are calling from outside the UK, please contact your nearest British mission where there is a visa section:
UK diplomatic missions overseas

Application forms: (+44) (0)20 7008 8308
Textphone: +44 (0)20 7008 8457
Border and Immigration Agency
For more advice and information about extending your stay once you are in the UK, contact:
Border and Immigration Agency
Croydon Public Caller Unit
Lunar House
40 Wellesley Road
Croydon CR9 2BY
General enquiries: (+44) (0)870 606 7766
Application forms: (+44) (0)870 241 0645

Immigration Advisory Service (IAS)
The Immigration Advisory Service is the UK's largest charity providing advice and representation in asylum, immigration and nationality law. It has offices right across the UK and abroad, and provides a free service to those who are eligible. It may also be able to help those who are not. The IAS is a non-profit service.

Immigration Advisory Service

Immigration Advisory Service
3rd Floor, County House
190 Great Dover Street
London SE1 4YB
Telephone: (+44) (0)20 7967 1200
Duty Office (open 24 hours a day): (+44) (0)20 8814 1559
Fax: (+44) (0)20 7403 5875

Revenue & Customs

For advice on bringing personal belongings and goods into the UK contact:
HM Revenue & Customs

Dorset House
Stamford Street
London SE1 9PY
Telephone: (+44) (0)845 010 9000

Drugs warning
Anyone found smuggling drugs into the UK will face serious penalties. Drug traffickers may try to bribe travellers. If you are travelling to the UK avoid any involvement with drugs.

False documents
Travellers to the UK may commit an offence if they produce a false travel document or passport to the UK immigration authorities for themselves and their children. People found guilty of this offence face up to two years in prison or a fine (or both).

Alternative formats
In the UK we also have versions of our guidance notes in Braille, on audio tape and in large print. If you would like any guidance notes in one of these formats, please contact us:

London SW1A 2AH

Phone: (+44) (0)20 7008 8308

Click Here For More Information About Work Permit Visa.

welcome bottom bar
news top

news bottom
news top
Latest News
news line
New immigration fees proposed

Today, 3 February 2014, the government announced proposals to change the fees charged for visas, immigration and nationality applications and associated premium services.

New customer satisfaction survey

From 16 December 2013, if you are applying for a visa from outside the UK, you will be asked to fill in a new customer satisfaction survey.

Online payment to become mandatory in Pakistan

From 16 December 2013 all UK visa applications made in Pakistan must be paid for online.

Immigration Rule changes - Armed Forces

Changes to the Immigration Rules will affect members of HM Forces and their families

New visa application customer satisfaction survey

If you are making a visa application in the UK you now have the opportunity to tell us about your experience through a new customer satisfaction survey.

Our application forms are changing

We are publishing new versions of the following application forms for use on or after 28 October 2013

Immigration Bill introduced

The government has announced the introduction of the Immigration Bill on Thursday 10 October 2013.

New commercial partner contracts announced

Global contracts have been awarded for our visa application centres overseas

Immigration Rule changes

Rule changes which come into effect on 1 October 2013 will mean greater flexibility for businesses and workers

news bottom