Sitemap Top
Suleman Associates Logo
welcome top bar
UK Working Holiday Maker

Working Holiday Maker
What is the working holiday scheme?
The working holidaymaker scheme is an arrangement where a person aged between 17 and 27 can come to the United Kingdom (UK) for an extended holiday for up to two years and may do part-time or casual work. Work must not be the main reason for your visit.
How do I qualify as a working holidaymaker?
You qualify as a working holidaymaker if:
  • you are a commonwealth citizen, British Dependent Territories citizen or British Overseas citizen
  • you want to come to the UK for an extended holiday and intend to take some incidental employment
  • you are single or are married to a person who also qualifies as a working holidaymaker and you plan to take the working holiday together
  • you do not have any dependent children who are aged five years or over, or who will be five before you complete your holiday
  • your holiday ,and not work, is the main reason for your visit
  • you can support and accommodate yourself without help from public funds
  • you do not have any commitments which require a regular salary
  • you can pay for your onward journey
  • you plan to leave the UK at the end of your holiday
How long can I stay?
You can only stay in the UK for two years as a working holidaymaker, from the date you first enter the UK in this category. We will count any time you spend outside the UK during that period as part of the two years.
What type of work can I do?
You can only do work incidental to a holiday and cannot do work which represents the continuation of a career. You should not take up a managerial position and cannot engage in business or provide services as a professional sports person or entertainer. This does not however rule out all professional activity, it is acceptable to engage in work as, for example:
  • Supply teacher at a relatively junior level
  • Agency nurse
  • Occupational therapist
  • Physiotherapist
  • Speech therapist
  • Radiographer
  • Nanny
  • Locum vet (but not locum hospital doctor, GP, solicitor or barrister)
You cannot take full-time work, even on a casual basis, for more than half your stay, even for the professions listed above, but you may engage in part-time work for more than half your stay provided that you have a holiday. For the purpose of working holidaymakers, full-time work is more than 25 hours a week.
Do I need a visa as a working holidaymaker?
You must get a visa as a working holidaymaker before you travel to the UK.
welcome bottom bar
news top

news bottom
news top
Latest News
news line
New immigration fees proposed

Today, 3 February 2014, the government announced proposals to change the fees charged for visas, immigration and nationality applications and associated premium services.

New customer satisfaction survey

From 16 December 2013, if you are applying for a visa from outside the UK, you will be asked to fill in a new customer satisfaction survey.

Online payment to become mandatory in Pakistan

From 16 December 2013 all UK visa applications made in Pakistan must be paid for online.

Immigration Rule changes - Armed Forces

Changes to the Immigration Rules will affect members of HM Forces and their families

New visa application customer satisfaction survey

If you are making a visa application in the UK you now have the opportunity to tell us about your experience through a new customer satisfaction survey.

Our application forms are changing

We are publishing new versions of the following application forms for use on or after 28 October 2013

Immigration Bill introduced

The government has announced the introduction of the Immigration Bill on Thursday 10 October 2013.

New commercial partner contracts announced

Global contracts have been awarded for our visa application centres overseas

Immigration Rule changes

Rule changes which come into effect on 1 October 2013 will mean greater flexibility for businesses and workers

news bottom